(Details on special giveaway below)
This past week, I completed the 7-day master cleanse again for the second time. Why? Because I cured my seasonal allergies from doing it 2 years ago. That’s right, I haven’t had to take Claritin or Aerius in 2 years. Now that’s what I call preventative medicine!
To learn about the master cleanse, view all my video diaries from my 10-day master cleanse in 2009. You can also get the master cleanse recipe here.
First, let’s start with a recap of the master cleanse benefits:
- Removes toxins from your body
- Improves skin for a more youthful appearance (won’t help acne if it’s hormonal)
- Removes cravings associated with alcohol, coffee, junk food, tobacco and other habit forming beverages
- Healing of stomach aches, feeling of bloating, indigestion, and colon issues
- Alleviation of chronic pains which are somehow linked to the clogging of internal organs
- A heightened energy level and lack of fatigue
- A reduction in allergies and its symptoms
- Weight loss
- A general feeling of well-being and comfort
- Becoming more in-tune with your body and understanding its signals better
How I felt:
- I felt “normal” each day
- In the mornings, I sometimes felt weaker and I had less energy when running up stairs, but these symptoms went away immediately after I drank the lemonade elixir.
- I was sometimes hungry at night, but it would go away after drinking the elixir or a tea
- My ability to concentrate was exactly the same as before
- My teeth needed to be brushed more often because of the sugar in the maple syrup
- My tongue did not change colour this time, indicating I did not have many toxins to eliminate
Important to note:
- Not everyone’s constitution can handle the master cleanse.
- The master cleanse should only be attempted by healthy individuals, otherwise follow the advice of a Naturopath.
- You will lose weight; some is water weight but some is toxic sludge in your intestines which you can’t lose through dieting. To keep it off, start eating healthier and working out immediately following the cleanse.
- How you feel depends on what your diet was like before. If you ate a lot of red meat, dairy and processed foods, the cleanse will probably be harder because you have more toxins to eliminate. If you were a vegetarian like me, it will be much easier.
- Start on a Saturday. You’ll need a weekend to get used to it so you’re ready for work on Monday
- Get an electric citrus juicer ($40). I normally promote manual kitchen aids but my God, you will need a gimmick to help you get through juicing 60 lemons.
- Wash the lemon juicer immediately after juicing, otherwise the pulp becomes almost glued on and impossible to pick off.
- Drink the laxative tea before bed every night – no point in cleansing if you’re not “eliminating”.
- Drink lots of water and herbal tea in between the elixir, this will help fill you up. (No caffeine).
- Don’t stay at home and give up your social life, you’ll end up feeling like you’re sick and the days will pass by very slowly. Go out – just bring a bottle of the lemonade with you or drink herbal tea. You’ll have the same amount of energy as before. I was able to accompany friends at cafés and restaurants and I was honestly fine. I also attended Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals at a friend’s house where food was plentiful and I didn’t crack.
Good to knows:
- On the weekend, I did 2 massive bike rides around Montreal (pictures on Facebook page). To be honest, I was worried I would faint from not having enough energy, but I was fine. The secret is to bring a bottle of the lemonade elixir and water with you, and keep yourself hydrated. Stop, whenever you need a break and listen to your body.
- Remember, the lemonade elixir will give your body everything it needs during the cleanse to survive; all essential vitamins, minerals and carbs. You’ll learn a lot about your body from this experience and how strong you are.
- Considering I’m a person who doesn’t have a lot of self-discipline, it’s amazing how easy this was to finish. I never once wanted to quit.
Going off the master cleanse:
You cannot start eating normally the day after your master cleanse ends. You must start off slowly by drinking freshly squeezed orange juice for at least half a day to turn your digestive system back on. If you feel stronger, you can then try drinking a vegetable soup broth. See how your stomach reacts. Diarrhea is normal. Some will be able to then eat a vegetable soup (butternut squash, carrots, celery) for supper, others will have to stick to the vegetable broth.
Here is a general guideline to follow. It’s important to listen to your body, if you feel ok and aren’t having diarrhea, progress to the next food item below. If you’re still having diarrhea, continue eating the same thing.
- Day 1: Freshly squeezed orange juice & vegetable broth (Possibly vegetable soup if you feel ok)
- Day 2: Freshly squeezed orange juice, fruit and vegetable soup
- Day 3: Fruits, vegetables and vegetable soup
- Day 4: Regular food (avoid processed foods)
Special Giveaway — Participate by July 1, 2011
In order to help you start master cleansing, Trudeau will give one of my lucky readers the following master cleanse kit:
In order to participate, you must become a fan of my Facebook page then leave a comment on here telling me why you would like to master cleanse, by July 1, 2011. One lucky winner will contacted by email and on my Facebook page and have the kit shipped to their house.
Residents of Canada & US only.